I am really pleased everyone liked my first article, thank you. Here is my second article on how to make crayon lip balm (do not panic) 😛 When I first saw an you tube video regarding this topic I was super excited to try it. Now a days lot of lipsticks contain lead which is a big drawback. I don’t use lipsticks so this is the best alternative as lipstick with a little protection like lip balm.
Don’t forget to read: Nivea Pink Guava Lip Balm Review
What will you need?:
- Crayons (a well known brand or any which says non-toxic)
- Coconut oil
- Double boiler
- Paper towels
I’m using Crayola crayons and Patanjali coconut oil. You can add cocoa or shea butter but I wanted it to be simple and easy.
Safety Rules and Measurement:
- This process is very easy and safe to be applied on to your lips. Crayons are basically non toxic as children always tend to eat them. Be safe near stove.
- For every 1 inch of crayon add 1/2 tablespoon of oil
How to make crayon lip balm? ~ Step by Step Tutorial:
Step 1: Setup a double boiler or if you don’t have a double boiler like me, take a pan and pour around 1/4th of water and heat it on low temperature. I have used orange for the tutorial here.
Step 2: Take another cup or bowl which can be placed in the pan and add coconut oil and your crayon. Give it some time to completely melt.
Step 3: Now take a pinch and test for the colour and consistency on your hand. If it is too runny add a piece of crayon and let it melt.
Step 4: Now transfer it to your container and let it cool down.
I have made 3 shades of crayon lip balms till now, check out the swatches.
1. Red orange (my fav)
2. Tackle me pink and a small piece of violet red
3. Yellow orange
How to Clean?:
Take the cup you used for melting the crayon and clean it with a dry paper towel and then wash it with dish soap. Do not try to clean it directly under water, it will take forever and make a mess.
- You will have lot of colour options 😀
- You can see my orange is hard pieces and was hard to apply, this indicates I need to put more coconut oil and re-heat it.
- Clean between making different colours. I did not as I wanted a bit of pink shade for my orange.
- It is a crayon so also acts as a bit waterproof.
- Can be used as cream cheek blush also.
- Stays for at least 2 hours, with eating and drinking, may be bit lesser.
- For cleaning your lips take a paper napkin and wipe it away (as simple as it) 🙂 .
- Smell is not attractive, some might have a problem with the smell of crayons. One can add 1-2 drops of flavoring to avoid this so, please try accordingly.
- You dont have to stick to the measurements, find yourself your perfect consistency.
I haven’t tried the different colours simultaneously yet but go ahead and try. I am going to do more colours soon as I have a box full of crayons yayyy 🙂 If you have tried this let me know how it turned for you.