Day before yesterday, we checked about the making of homemade hair wash cream, with a base 'shikakai powder'. Many of you asked about the shikakai recipe as it is not available ready made in most of your cities. Finally, here comes the shikakai recipe of my mom. She has been using this shikakai hair wash powder for ages to maintain and pamper her hair. I guess you all would have seen my mom's hair. If not, go to this post. Believe me, she is really 54 and has no gray hairs :) I am the first person to be jealous of her long black hair. Okay, let us move on to the shikakai powder recipe now. All you need are few natural ingredients and some patience.
Things you will need:
- Shikakai - 1/2 kg
- Fenugreek - 1/4 kg
- Greem Gram - 1/4 kg
- Curry Leaves - 1 bunch
- Tulsi Leaves - 1 bunch
- Reetha - 100gm
Ingredient Benefits on Hair
- Contains abundant amounts of Vitamin C and D which are essential for good hair health.
- Provides enough nourishment to the hair follicles with its micro nutrients.
- Doesn't strip of the natural oils from hair.
- Contains nicotinic acid and proteins to nourish hair roots.
- Replenishes dry and damaged hair to add the bounce.
- Replaces the store bought hair conditioners.
Green Gram [Mung Bean]
- Rich in B vitamins and Proteins. Nourishes damages hair and prevents split ends.
- Cleanses scalp gently without stripping off excess moisture and promotes hair growth.
- Adds a natural shine to hair and prevent tangles.
- Controls and cures premature gray hairs.
Tulsi Leaves [Basil]
- Cools down the body to prevent hair fall due to heat.
- Helps in removing dandruff and lice.
- Reduces hair fall and thickens the hair.
Reetha [Soap Nut]
- Provides the lathering effect and cleanses out excess oil.
- Removes dirt and other impurities from the scalp well.
There are no such hard steps in the preparation. Just make all the ingredients dry in hot sun for 12 hours. Make it two sunny days and part it to two 6 hours. When the mixture is completely dry and crisp, grind it to fine powder and your shikakai hair wash powder is ready for use. This can be stored in a clean and dry container for months. Regular use gives you a gorgeous healthy hair. One can simply mix this shikakai powder with some water to make a paste and use it instead of your shampoo or make a homemade hair wash cream recipe for more shinier hair, with this powder as a base.
Optional ingredients such as rose petal powder and hibiscus flower petal powder can be added for a pleasing fragrance and lustrous shiny hair. Share your views about this shikakai powder recipe and let us know if you have any experience or idea about this. In case of doubts on preparation, do drop a comment!