Hi girls! How is life? I hope all are doing well. :)
Today, I will be talking about how we are so careful while buying products for our skin. How particular we are regarding our regular Salon visits and how we shell out so many bucks for beauty and skincare products BUT fail in maintaining and using our cosmetics hygienically! I doubt that anyone would confess that the above is true. (But it is, right!!!) Not to worry, I hope little facts, tips and tricks in this article would change your habits a little :)
Rules to Maintain Hygiene of Your Cosmetics:
1. First and foremost, please do not share or exchange you cosmetics. There are some very logical explanations to this:
- A product used by a person usually harbours germs from that person. By sharing their cosmetics, you are transferring those germs on your skin. Associated with sharing cosmetics are infections like herpes, common cold and dermatitis.
- Different products are meant for different skin types. If you share and use a product meant for dry skin type on your oily or combination skin.. You are going to have a super oily skin day!! (Editors note: With breakouts the next morning.. Experience speaks..ughh) :P
- Your skin may be allergic to particular chemicals in a product that suits somebody else’s skin type.
- Foundations, concealers and compacts have different shades as per the skin tones. Something that blends in well in their skin type might look bad on you.
2. Always, discard your cosmetics after expiry date. Shelf life of products is almost always mentioned on the products beyond expiry dates, the chemicals in the beauty products disintegrate and deteriorate and might actually harm your skin. Please take special care with eye products, since they are very sensitive and susceptible to infection.
3. It is always a good idea, to wash your hands before you start applying your make up or better still, also use a hand sanitizer.
4. Make up brushes and compact sponges should be kept absolutely clean. Wash them regularly with an antibacterial soap/hand wash; at regular intervals and let them air dry. If you can manage to keep them in sunlight for drying, even better. Make sure that these are absolutely dry before storage. If left damp or laden with old make up, they are sure to provide a habitat for germs to grow. If possible, try to use disposable applicators.
5. Always store make up products in a cool dry place.
6. Keep your combs clean by immersing them in warm water containing Dettol liquid, overnight.
7. Sanitizing Lipsticks: Spray with surgical spirit and then wipe off the surface layer with a clean tissue. There are some wipes available for this purpose too.
8. For compacts, blushes etc. It is best to simply wipe the surface with a clean, dry tissue. This helps remove the contaminated layer.
9. For products like lip glosses, moisturisers or hair creams etc that come in a tub or tube packing, always try to dispense some product on a plate or any other clean surface and use. It is advisable to use clean spoons to dispense products from a tub.
10. Try to use eye pencils that can be sharpened. This way, you will be able to regularly discard the superficial contaminated layer, before use.